9.09.2010

tomatoes

labor day turned into the the day of tomatoes for me.
lets begin

in the morning i was on my way to go get me hair cut. i had promises of bagels for jen. i take my bagels with hummus and slices of tomato. so i picked these three things up at the store. when i got to jen's she had a tomato in the fridge that was in more need of being consumed then the one i had brought. mine was kept jen's was eaten.

later in the day i had a late lunch with my parents before my dad had to catch a flight back to florida. my mom presented me with a huge zip lock bag of red ripe tomatoes. when asked where they were from she replied with from a friends farm.

upon arriving back to k's he opend up the fridge and showed me a giant yellow heirloom tomato the dill pickle had gifted him earlier that day.

what to do with all these tomatoes? something grand had to happen.

the next day, which also happened to be my first day back to jcys, i found the answers. after flipping thought cook books i came across summer time tomato sauce and then pest stuffed tofu steaks with summertime tomato sauce in vegan planet. it was more perfect then i could have hoped for. k had made a big batch of pesto from two basil plants on sunday while i was at work.

so the two of us lovingly spent the evening in the kitchen listening to tomatoes simmering and tofu frying along with wait wait don't tell me and sound opinions.

to add to the tofu we had picked up some fairytale eggplant that k prepared while i worked on quick boiling the tomatoes to remove their skins. the fairytale eggplant was from the dill pickle and i must say i have never seen eggplant quite like it.  i wish i had been mindful enough to photograph it for you before we chopped it up. maybe ill try to pick up some more in the coming days.

and of course we needed to add a portable mushroom to our meal.

the month of september has brought with the cripes clean air of fall and newness. the tomatoes had locked the flavor of summer deep within them. as the simmered it unlocked and released into the juices. this meal was a heartwarming way to tast the summer and say goodbye one last time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment